LAPF was first established in 1944 in order to create a Single Fund for all Local Authorities employees in then colonial Tanganyika. In 1972 Town and District Councils were abolished and LAPF became dormant. It was revived in the year ended 1987, under Section 16 of the Local Government Service Act , No. 10 of 1982, following the re-establishment of Town and District Councils in 1982.
LAPF became an autonomous statutory corporate body under a body of Board of Trustees in July 2000, following the enactment of the Local Authorities Provident Fund Act, CAP.407. In 2006 the Fund was transformed into a pension scheme under the Local Authorities Pensions Fund Act, CAP 407. Further amendments to the LAPF Act were made in April 2012 to align it with the Social Security Regulatory Authority Act CAP 135. These amendments are effective from July 2012.